Mouton Cadet charter
As a fine Bordeaux wine, Mouton Cadet aims to guarantee the best possible quality from vine to glass, while preserving the Bordeaux terroir and respecting people, from winegrower to consumer.
MOUTON CADET’S COMMITMENTS :
KEEP THE USE OF AGROCHEMICALS TO A MINIMUM
• All Mouton Cadet wines are made under contract with partner winegrowers, in accordance with very strict specifications for vineyard and winery practices.
• All Mouton Cadet wines are made without the use of CMR products (agrochemicals classified as carcinogenic, mutagenic or reprotoxic).
• All the vineyards of Mouton Cadet partner winegrowers have had HVE High Environmental Value certification since 2020.
• 20% of partner winegrowers have converted to organic or are in the process of doing so, representing 30% of our parcel selections.
• We started phasing out chemical weedkillers in 2019, tilling the soil more and using plant cover instead.
• We are reducing the use of agrochemicals in order to approach zero residues in all the wines in the Mouton Cadet range.
• We are funding research and experimental programmes into alternatives to agrochemicals.
EFFECTIVELY REDUCE THE ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT OF THE MOUTON CADET WINERY
• All gas and electricity consumed comes from renewable energy sources.
• All wastewater is treated in an ecological treatment plant.
• All waste is sorted and sent for recycling.
• We aim to reduce energy consumption by 20 % by 2025.
• 1 245 m² of solar panels were installed in 2021; over 2 000 m² more will be added in 2023, increasing our energy self-sufficiency and underlining our commitment to developing renewable energies.
• We are limiting our use of ink by rationalising and redesigning our cartons.
• We have reduced the weight of our Bordeaux-style bottles by 15 % since 2012.
• We have reduced the Mouton Cadet Winery’s carbon footprint for dry goods and fossil energy consumption by 26 % since 2015.
IMPLEMENT A CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY POLICY
Mouton Cadet has long-term contracts with partner winegrowers that are based on fair-trade principles and encourage sustainable development.